Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Brian's Perspective

It has been about two weeks since the incident. This whole ordeal was actually tougher on others than it was on me, though. I've been well taken care of – starting with CPR, getting shocked, getting accompanied in the ambulance, being visited in the Houston Medical Center by many, brought meals after coming home, etc. There are some strange discomforts still - like unusual muscle twitches and the tight skin around the defibrillator, but other than that I'm just moving slow and not allowed to lift my arm over my shoulder.

I wish I had something really profound to say, but instead I will right down a few of my thoughts:

As I was waking up, I kept thinking I was dreaming and just couldn't wake up. I remember all the details of the hospital room. I woke up in the same place about 5 or more times before I realized it was not a dream. That's when I started to realize something was wrong.
About half a day or more after I realized something was wrong, I started to understand that whatever I was going through was a fairly big deal. At that point I thought about Julie and the kids and thought I should really try to get better for them.
Every time I truly think about the thought process Julie has been through, it is very difficult. There were two days when she did not know if I would be OK, was given some information that I might not be OK, and I can't imagine the difficulty of that situation.
People have poured out support for me and my family. Here in town, we've had lots of visitors both before and after I was aware of their presence at the hospital. Family came in from out of town. It was pretty confusing waking up and seeing so many old friends and family at the hospital. I soon realized they were only there because my health was so poor, which is humbling.
I read through the blog that Julie wrote and the comments from people all over. It was emotional to see what people wrote and how people care.
God has protected us in a very real way. We are praying he uses this situation for a greater good…

2 comments:

stephanie said...

God IS using this in a very profound way- encouraging my faith and helping me fight my fears in life, realizing once again his absolute perfect and complete control in all situations. He will not always give us what we want but He will always give us what we need. Seeing Julie's faith and response while you were still yet unconscious speaks more than words can describe about the power of the Holy Spirit to carry us through life's most difficult trials. We are SOO thankful you are okay, Brian. Craig was ready to fly down that night when everything first happened. Thank you for letting us share with all the emotions of this intense journey you guys are on. We love your family! Stephanie

Leslie said...

We rejoice with guys over God's faithfulness and His goodness. We're available to help in any way. Y'all are in our hearts and our prayers.
God Bless you!
Robert & Leslie